Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Inadequate

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come.” 2nd Corinthians 5:17

As Christians we are supposed to show others love, forgiveness, grace, and other fruits of the spirit. It is so humbling when others do such a better job. Not just a better job through their actions, but even a better job at explaining what it is. My residence hall director (or boss) explained to us today what it means to be blessed and it was explained better than I've ever heard it explained. In the back of my mind, I was thinking to myself... this isn't the accurate biblical definition! Isn't that ridiculous? Today was our last staff meeting of the year (as resident advisor's), and as we all closed our eyes with our heads down and went around thanking each other for a truly unique and amazing staff I couldn’t help but think if there was a weak link in the staff it was me. Of course the first thing that came to mind were excuses, “I was really busy this year, this was a key year for me, I know my residents better than the other RA's do…” Everybody thanked someone and I knew if someone thanked me it was only out of pity that I was out of place. While everyone was crying about the end of the year I just sat there and smiled. There’s no doubt I was happy that everyone was so sentimental but it was never more clear to me how far I was from being a new creation. When people mentioned my name the only thing they could talk about was my accomplishments: about my coveted internship, my 1st place showing in business competitions this year, treasurer election, and all of that. That is when I realized if there is anyone that looks like the world, if there was anyone that failed to love others, and if there was anyone that was not unique it was me. Of course, I should have seen it before, I study more, go the gym more, and play more video games than anyone on staff. Have you ever had one of those moments where you realized how inadequate you are? It is a realization like that, that makes the gospel so much sweeter. The gospel that says it is not what you do, but what Christ has done. The gospel that imputes or credits Christ’s righteousness as our own. The gospel that recognizes that even our belief is not of our own ability but of God’s grace. Please forgive me God.

"So that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written,"Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."" 1 Corinthians 29-31

No comments: