Saturday, February 23, 2008

Investment Banking Interviews

35 On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, "Let us go across to the other side." 36And leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. And other boats were with him. 37And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. 38But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, "Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?" 39And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, "Peace! Be still!" And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. 40He said to them, "Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?"
_Mark 4:35-40


I thought it would be beneficial to write down my thoughts before the end result of all this madness I’ve been going through recently. That way no matter what happens I could solidify the lessons that I learned. These past 2 months have sadly been 2 of the most trying months of my short life. I guess it was kind of like SAT + college apps on steroids. When I realized that God was calling me towards investment banking I had this vision of what that would look like. I’ve always wanted to work at this place called Lehman Brothers, but I wanted 10 backups just in case to make myself feel safe. I did not have any backups going into my interview with Lehman in New York on Tuesday. Someone told me when you give your plans to God that you have to make sure you give all your plans to God and not to hold on to what you think that plan looks like. I’ll make this a lot shorter than I normally do but this is probably one of the most important lessons that I have ever learned. The first is that when the pressure and stress comes it is really not about the result of what you are striving for. It is not about your test scores, or the college you get into, or where you work, or anything else. The only thing that matters is that God gets you to the place where you can say it does not matter where I end up because I have faith that God knows what is best for me. As my friend in investment banking so eloquently put it, “I would have never realized how selfish I was and how faithless I was unless I went through this process.” Thank God that I can relate with that. Aren’t we so blind when we think that God does not care because of the rain? When the storm comes may we have an attitude that is like Jesus’, who slept through the storm because he had so much trust in what was going to happen.

No comments: